Total Pageviews

Monday 18 December 2017

shaman's whiskers at Sorrow Falls



Sorrow Falls - just off the Trans-Canada Trail near Marmora, Ontario
pic yesterday by Dr. John, who named the smaller set of icicles "the shaman's whiskers"

Winter Solstice Smudging 2005


Had a great smudging ceremony last nite, altho it's obviously more fun when Morley joins me. Stated the fire around 11 pm, & had to break a trail to the chiminea thru a foot of snow. I've gotten so good at starting winter fires, even when my wood is covered in snow, that I had the chiminea roaring in 10 minutes. Had a large, almost empty bottle of Pelee Island chiraz, & made several (many?) trips back inside to take a sip & get warm while I waited for midnite. It was by far the coldest of the 3 Solstice ceremonies so far.

At midnite I did my usual ritual ringing in the 4 points of the compass, & got to use my spiffy new Tibetan bell - great strong sound! Then smudged in incense & rich smoke from the white pine boughs I collected on Monday's hike. When I awoke this morning it took a second or 2 to realize the great smoky aroma was in my hair :) Always feel refreshed & purified after the Solstice ceremony. When I looked out the window at noon all the trees were covered in white hoarfrost!

                                                Solstice morning:
                                         smudge smoke in my hair
                                            hoarfrost on every tree

1 comment:

angelee said...


Solstice ceremony-
smudge smoke and incense inside
the Shaman's whiskers outside



Dear cricket this is an interesting post,could be worked into a haibun,
best wishes,angelee